Since 01 April 2021
What is the B197 driving license?
Since 01 April 2021, Buttferfly driving school offers you the B197 driving license. What is new or different about the B197 driving license compared to the class B driving license? With the B197 driver's license, as a learner driver, you are allowed to take the practice test on an automatic transmission vehicle. You are still eligible to drive manual transmission vehicles because you will complete l0 driving hours on a manual transmission vehicle during your training and then take a 15-minute test drive with your instructor.
How is the training structured?
Procedure and requirements
What do you need to present when applying to the driver's license office?
- You must attend all 14 theory topics
- Prepare for the theory exam with our learning app
- Take the theory test at Technische Überwachung Hessen GmbH
Info: 10 rides on a manual transmission vehicle are prescribed by law. How these rides are designed into the training, each driving school decides for itself.
- You must complete practice drives (individual number) with the automatic vehicle, so that you first learn to "drive".
- then you have to do 7 practice runs with the shift vehicle (more practice runs can/must be done according to your wishes and skills)
- then you have to pass the practical test with the automatic vehicle at Technische Überwachung Hessen GmbH
Already butterflies in your stomach? Come by and let us advise you individually.
Important info about the B17 driving license
Frequently asked questions
Can the automatic driver's license be rewritten to B197?
- Be driven 10 practice runs on a shift vehicle beginning April 1, 2021.
- passing the 15-minute test drive with the shifting vehicle at the driving instructor's place
After completing the training, you will receive a certificate from the driving school confirming that you have completed 10 driving lessons and passed the test drive - with this certificate, you must go to the driver's license office and the code number 197 will be entered in your driver's license.
Can this driver's license be extended?
Yes, it is possible to extend the driver's license to class BE (trailer), truck and bus. However, the key number 78 (automatic) is then automatically entered in the driver's license, unless you wish to take the practical test on a manual vehicle. (The new trucks and buses are equipped with an automatic engine).